Editorial Project Manager – Webmarketing & Co’m
If you want an exciting career in web marketing with maximum freedom and flexibility, why not become a digital marketing freelancer? This comprehensive guide is for beginners or anyone looking to make a career change and jump into the exciting world of digital marketing…
In this article you will learn:
- What is a digital marketing freelancer?
- What types of tasks can it perform?
- What are the pros and cons of this job?
Have you decided to become a freelancer in digital marketing? Before handing in your resignation and diving into the industry, consider whether this career is the best fit for you, your interests, and your skillset.
Ask yourself the right questions:
- Am I creative enough to develop marketing strategies across different platforms and media?
- How strong are my writing and editing skills?
- Do I enjoy analyzing campaign results and adjusting strategies until I find the right solution?
- How well do I know about SEO? Am I ready to learn more?
- Am I tech savvy?
- Do I have an eye for design?
- How good are my community building skills?
What is a digital marketing freelancer?
These questions highlight some of the skills you need to excel in digital marketing.
Because unlike other freelance jobs, being a marketer as a freelancer has to wear a lot of hats. Digital marketing has a unique set of channels and processes, and you must have the skills needed to offer a range of services to clients.
A freelancer must possess essential qualities to perform some of the most common jobs, including:
- Writing texts for blogs, websites and social networks;
- creating and editing videos;
- Website creation and design assistance;
- Creation of advertisements including text and images;
- design of visuals such as infographics;
- lead generation;
- Integration of new customers and management of customer appointments.
- management of accounts and communities on social networks;
- organization of webinars or distribution of podcasts;
- Campaign development and marketing strategy for your customers;
- Launching advertising campaigns and managing advertising budgets;
- Running social media campaigns (free and paid)
- sending emails to your customer’s customers;
- Email marketing campaign management;
- Optimizing clients’ websites for search engines (SEO);
- Preparation of monthly project reports;
- issuing invoices to customers.
What are the advantages of working as a digital marketing freelancer?
- Work as long as you want as long as you meet deadlines;
- You can collaborate with clients anywhere. This gives you access to major markets and major companies outside of where you live, potentially allowing you to charge higher prices for your work.
- You can choose the job you want. There are several freelancer platforms that connect many digital marketing clients. You choose the type of jobs, industries and companies you want to work with.
- You can rely on other freelancers for help or expertise when needed. This way you can learn as you complete projects.
- You can get payments faster if you use services that offer escrow services.
And the disadvantages?
- Since you often work alone, you have to put on all the hats to develop your activity;
- The competition is tough. Assuming you are going to contact clients on special platforms, you need to differentiate yourself from all other freelancers around the world.
- Income is unpredictable;
- Work-life balance can be difficult to achieve at first. Learn how to maintain a healthy lifestyle every day.
- There are no benefits. Also, things change very quickly in the digital world. You can’t rely on your company to send you to courses or workshops to help you improve your skills.
Now that you know some of the ins and outs of a freelance career, in this next article let’s take a close look at all the key steps to getting started.
If you need further training in this area, check out this ‘Developing Your Business With Web Marketing’ training course.